Something big is happening in Sunset Park. Tenants are demanding liveable conditions and a response to the 400 documented housing violations in their building. For years residents in these three buildings have been living in fear of fires, electrical blackouts and disease-triggering agents like mold, cockroaches and rats. Despite numerous complaints made to city agencies and politicians’ offices, these violations continue to threaten the lives of dozens of residents.
All over New York City, landlords like Orazio Petito are trying to displace residents from their homes because they can gentrify the buildings and raise rent. Read more about how this courageous community is standing up to defend their home.
Occupy Sunset Park asks you to join them to show ongoing support for the rent strikers by stopping by for a nightly vigil from 6pm to 7pm on 46th Street between 5th and 6th Ave. in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, near the R train at 45th St.
Occupy These Actions and Assemblies
Wednesday, July 25, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tech Training: Civi and Wiki
- 33 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn
- Come to this Tech-Ops/Occupy training in wiki or Civi use, meet Occupy movement techies, and have a beer with us. Civi is a Constituent Relationship Manager (CRM) to gives you tools to send email blasts to your groups, sign up new people, accept donations and more. Wikis are a type of website that is easy for a large and decentralized group of people to use to share information. Facebook.
Wednesday, July 25, 6:30pm - 8:00pm
- Farmworker Justice Rally
- Chipotle at 17th St & Broadway (864 Broadway)
- Join Occupy’s 99 Pickets and Community/Farmworker Alliance to demand Chipotle stand true to your "sustainable" image and Sign the Fair Food Agreement with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers. There will be a wall of postcards, rally and a chance to get your picture taken for chipocrisy.tumblr.com.
Wednesday, July 25, 5:00 - 9:00pm (and Every Wednesday)
- Freedom School Community Night
- 195 Maujer St, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
- Everyone Wednesday night the Freedom School welcomes the community to a potluck and tour of the school. Come visit and see all the renovations: the OWS Library, the brand-new Media Center, and more! Found out more about the school at paulrobesonfreedomschool.org.
Friday, July 27th, 3:00pm
- March on Wall Street
- Liberty Plaza (Zuccotti Park) to Wall Street
- Join us in meeting the bankers and brokers for the closing bell as we issue our grievances and stand in support of workers everywhere.
Friday, July 27th, 7:00pm
- Sunset Park Food For Thought Film Series: Broken on All Sides
- La Casita, 414 45th Street, Sunset Park
- Next Friday's Food For Thought FIlm Showing will be BROKEN ON ALL SIDES, a timely exploration of mass incarceration and the racist nature of the criminal justice system as explored in Michelle Alexander's THE NEW JIM CROW Join us for film and discussion! Friday, July 27, at La Casita in Sunset Park. FREE.
Saturday, July 28th, 7:30am
- Stop the Frack Attack. Rally in DC (bus leaving from NYC)
- Liberty Plaza (Zuccotti Park)
- OWS Environmental Solidarity joins other New Yorkers in the fight against Fracking. Now is the time to bring the stories of the people truly impacted by oil and gas development to the legislative and regulatory entities that can—and must be pushed to—make a difference in the way that the fossil fuel industry operates in this country and the energy options the nation pursues.
Saturday, July 28, 11:30am
- Premiere of Occupy Brooklyn TV
- Brooklyn cable TV & streaming
- Occupy Public Access TV is launching a new OWS TV show this week. It will air on TW channel 35, Cablevision channel 68, and RCN channel 83 in Brooklyn, and on Verizon cable channel 43 throughout NYC. A special edition of the show, with extra footage, will be published on occupypublicaccesstv.com.
Saturday, July 28th, 1:00pm
- Radical Walking Tours - Gowanus Canal & Brooklyn Transect
- Union Street @ Gowanus Canal
- Engage the city, your body, and others, by putting yourself in motion to engage the political, ecological, and your embodied urban environment – New York City.
Saturday, July 28th, 2:00pm
- S17 Education Planning Assembly
- Washington Square Park
- September 17th, Occupy's one-year anniversary, is just around the corner. This is a call for all groups planning education-related activities to come together and coordinate actions, resources, needs, etc. If you aren't involved in a group, but want to help plan educational events for S17, this meeting is also for you.
Sunday, July 29th, 2:00pm
- Strike Debt Strategy Session
- 33 W 14th St New York
- Join us as we strategize about the next steps in this movement to transform, challenge and re-think debt. As Strike Debt gains momentum and as debt emerges as a key theme among many organizers, we gather to ask some major questions about debt and movement-building.
Tuesday, July 31st, 6:30pm
- Occupy Astoria Movie Night - The New Jim Crow
- Church of the Redeemer, 30-14 Crescent Street at 30th Avenue
- Join Occupy Astoria for our ongoing Film Series. The New Jim Crow, litigator turned legal scholar Michelle Alexander's recent book, challenges us to place mass incarceration at the heart of our struggles for racial justice in America.
Friday, August 3, 4:00pm
- Wake Up Wall Street: Money Out, Voters In
- Liberty Plaza (Zuccotti Park)
- The 3rd in a series of condemnations of CITIZENS UNITED. As long as our democracy is hijacked by big corporate money, there will be no business as usual.
Daily #OccupyUnionSq Info Table
- Every day Occupy Union Square has an info table open and staffed, acting as a hub to promote the constant flurry of events and meetings occurring across OWS.
- For Text Message alerts on your cellphone about daily events, actions, and important information, sign up for the ComHub SMS blasts by texting @owscom to 23559.