A bailout by the people, for the people, the "People's Bailout" telethon will abolish defaulted debt for pennies on the dollar.
People shouldn’t have to be forever haunted by debt that they accrued for an education, because they needed medical care, or because they had to put food on the table during hard times. No politician is going to fix this. The Rolling Jubilee is a bailout of the people by the people - we buy defaulted debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, we abolish it.
This groundbreaking campaign will launch on November 15th with a star-studded "telethon" called THE PEOPLE'S BAILOUT. The event will feature music, comedy, education, magic, and more. Confirmed guests include: comedian Janeane Garofalo, Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, actor/director John Cameron Mitchell ('Hedwing and the Angry Inch'), comedian Hari Kondabolu, David Rees ('Get Your War On'), Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi, Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, and others to be announced soon. The PEOPLE’S BAILOUT will be held at Le Poisson Rouge in New York City and will be streamed live at rollingjubilee.org. Tickets will go on sale on November 2nd at 10am EST. Note that 100% of the ticket price will go to abolishing debt: a $25 ticket will abolish about $500 of debt, a $50 ticket will abolish $1,000, and so on.
Our goal is to raise $50,000, which will allow us to abolish more than $1,000,000 dollars worth of medical debt. If we raise more, we will abolish more debt. Donations will be made online at rollingjubilee.org.
With three-quarters of Americans in debt, many of whom are nearing default or already there, and one in seven being pursued by debt collectors, millions of people will be excited to hear that something is finally being done to help. The Rolling Jubilee is coming on November 15th.
For More Information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @StrikeDebt, #RollingJubilee, #PeoplesBailout
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strike-Debt/244850825627699
- Web: http://www.rollingjubilee.org, http://www.strikedebt.org/
- For the latest information as soon as it’s available, sign up at the website for our email announcement list. We’ll send updates about additional artists appearing at the telethon, details of the social media campaign, and the opening of our donation site.