The timing couldn't possibly be better in the final days before our S17 anniversary for the 99% and Occupy Wall Street to be able to declare a big victory.
After an escalating week-long #OccupyHotNCrusty campaign in response to a serious labor dispute, workers announced both sides had reached an agreement over the weekend. Direct attacks on the newly formed independent union of Hot & Crusty workers were met with an occupation of the store by workers and members of Occupy Wall Street alongside a 24 hour picket outside, and although we need to keep the pressure on, this has already become a wonderful precedent for the power of solidarity between local labor unions, community members, and Occupy.
Moreover, not only does this news come on the horizon of S17, but also at the birth of another such opportunity to display a collaborative spirit for bold action in this manner.
The Teachers of Chicago now engaged in the #CTUstrike need our support, and their fight is as clear an example as any about how All Roads Lead to Wall Street.
The OWS Labor Outreach working group has already lent their support to one such action this past Monday, with a follow up action coming at 5pm Thursday sending the message that NYC Stands in Solidarity with Chicago Teachers. Text @ctsc2012 to 23559 to receive the latest updates.
And while we are reflecting on the foundation we have built over the past year, let us be reminded that when we work together, it absolutely is possible that we can win.
--- from the Your Inbox: Occupied Team
Take Action for S17
- Donate to Support S17: The Action Resource Fund helps Occupy Wall Street working and affinity groups get the resources they need to do the things they want on big days of action. Please donate if you can!
- Help Protect Occupy's Right to Peaceably Assemble: Sign the petition + watch and share the video.
Things to Know About S17
- Register & Show Your Commitment! By registering, we can keep you up to date on housing, food, volunteer opportunities, convergence and action plans.
- Anniversary Schedule: We have a full weekend of activities planned from civil disobedience to permitted concerts to trainings and teach ins. Oh and sign making and face paint :)
- S17 Day of Action: Bring business attire to wear on the 17th. We will disrupt business as usual in the financial district by blockading the Stock Exchange and surrounding intersections with multiple actions all morning and assemblies in afternoon and evening. Get prepped with our Action and Know Your Rights Training Schedule
- Transportation: We are encouraging folks to find their own transportation. We have resources listed on the Transportation page about rideshares, Amtrak discounts, buses, and information about parking.
- Housing: If you register on the s17 registration form and indicate that you need housing, you will be sent all of the address and all the info you need. If you haven't heard back from us, please email email@example.com.
Actions & Events Building #S17 Momentum
Wednesday, September 12th, 6:00pm
- Help Build the People's Wall
- Liberty Plaza
- In building this blockade, we will — symbolically and literally — open space for the 99 Revolutions to emerge, and set the stage for the Storm Wall Street convergence. These actions work together, as essential parts of a greater whole. Can't make the Wednesday training? The People's Wall has a schedule of trainings, a map and all sorts of useful info!
Thursday, September 13th, 3:00pm
- Guitarmy to Occupy Bronx Criminal Courthouse for Graham family
- Leaving Union Square, 3pm. Arrival at Bronx Courthouse 215 E 161st Street at 7pm
- Occupy Guitarmy will join the family of Ramarley Graham at the start of the trial of the NYPD officer charged with the killing of their son. The Occupy group wishes to highlight the confluence of policing problems evident in the tragedy of Ramarley Graham: an out of control surveillance state, lack of proper police training, racial profiling, unlawful entry, and unwarranted use of lethal force.
Thursday, September 13th, 5:00pm
- Chicago Teachers Strike Solidarity
- DFER, 928 Broadway Office Building
- Wear Red! We will be holding a picket and rally at the offices of Democrats for Education Reform, a lobbying group made up of hedge fund executives working to privatize public education. Event sponsored by the Movement of Rank-and-File Educators (MORE) and the Occupy Wall Street Labor Outreach Committee.
Thursday, September 13th, 8:00pm
- Weekly #TweetBoat Meeting - All in for #S17!
- Join the #OWS social media collective for our weekly meeting to tweet together and strategize for #S17. We'll be focusing on tactical media for the weekend celebration of OWS's One- Year anniversary!
Thursday, September 13th - 16th
- Stages of Occupy: A Theatre Event in Celebration of OWS's Anniversary
- Stages of Occupy came together for S17 to provide a series of interactive theatre pieces sharing experiences and exploring the crucial themes of economic and social justice. Join us for performance and dialogue about how occupy can devise options for taking action to continue the momentum of the movement.
Thursday, September 13th, 10:00pm
- #Sleepful Protest Bedtime Skillshare & Community Assembly
- Liberty Plaza
- Thinking of engaging in a #SleepfulProtest? Join #OWS & members of the #TrinitySleeps community for an informal evening gathering of storytime, know your rights training, community service & safe space creation.
Friday, September 14th, 6:45am
- Wake up Wall Street 5
- Hilton Hotel, 6th Avenue between 53rd and 54th Streets
- Money in politics at its worst: $50,000 a table fundraiser is being held for the Romney campaign. Then next week on S18 we will hit a 40,000 a plate Obama fundraiser at 40-40 hosted by Jay -Z.
Friday, September 14th, 6pm
- S17 Affinity Group Spokescouncil 5
- 55 Water Street
- Imagine a World Without Wall Street. Come to the S17 Affinity Group Spokescouncil 5. Learn about the action framework, choose targets, and make friends. If you're coming in from out of town check out the remote conference system.
Actions & Events Building Off #S17 Momentum
September 18th - 22nd
- Occupy your Education with the Free University Week
- The Free University of NYC will host a week of free educational courses and events in Madison Square Park.
- Bringing together people from around the world, Free University will advocate for education as a human right and demonstrate our ability to implement free education for all.
Tuesday, September 18th, 9am
- All Pipelines Lead to Wall Street
- Assembly Point: Brecht Forum, Bank Street and 451 West St
- ALL HANDS ON DECK for a visual uprising! Expect hijinks, be prepared to have a blast!
Wednesday, September 19th, 7pm
- Unorganized Workers General Assembly
- Madison Square Park
- This is an assembly for those of us who are unorganized where we can talk about our experience at work as well as think about building power there. We in Occupy Your Workplace think you can make fundamental change in the world in part by starting with organizing in your workplace.
Thursday, September 20th, 7pm
- United in Anger: A Conversation Between Act UP & Occupy
- Abrons Art Center
- Join us for a free screening of the new film United in Anger and learn about the history, tactics and impact of the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power. The screening will be followed by an open conversation between members of Act Up and Occupy to draw connections, share skills, compare strategies, reflect on our mutual past and gear up for future struggles.
September 20th - 23rd
- Occupy Social Media Un-Conference
- Battery Park
- This four day gathering comes on the heels of the Occupy Wall Street's one year anniversary & will bring together some of the movement's most dynamic voices to discuss Economic Inequality as it is expressed in the lack of access to basic digital tools by the 99%.