Momentum continues to grow behind the Occupy Sandy relief effort while the monumental scale of the problem comes into clearer focus with Winter looming oh so forebodingly.
In this vein, we’re highly encouraged to report that a vastly improved version of the OccupySandy.org website has been launched to help us amp up our work that much more.
In addition to it being easier to use and providing more efficient access to important information for the public, processes have been streamlined to send and receive content so that it can go up onto the website much faster.
The need for an ever-more efficient relief effort couldn’t be more clear, particularly when looking at some of the stunning images captured.
So a hearty thank you to those working around the clock and at top speed to make this happen, and let’s keep the progress moving! -- from the ‘Your Inbox: Occupied’ team
#PeoplesBailout Telethon Update
You can also join us starting at 10am EST for our People's Mic to help spread the word via Facebook and Twitter.
The in person event is sold out, but you can still join us to watch special guests like Janeane Garofalo, Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Lizz Winstead, and more help launch the Rolling Jubilee. This Strike Debt campaign to buy debt for pennies on the dollar and abolish it has clearly struck a chord, as illustrated in the articles and blog posts below:
- Josh Harkinson in Mother Jones: These Guys Want to Buy Up Your Debt and Set You Free
- Matt Browner Hamlin at AmericaBlog: Occupy Wall Street offshoot to buy-back consumer debt, and then forgive it
- Allison Kilkenny in The Nation: Occupy Wall Street Activists Buy up Debt to Abolish It
- Natasha Lennard in Salon: Occupy Gets into the Debt Market
- Charles Eisenstein in the Guardian: Why Occupy's plan to cancel consumer debts is money well spent
Occupy these Actions and Events
Wednesday, November 14th, 5:30pm
- #14NRISEUP Solidarity Rally
- Dag Hammarskjold Plaza at 240 E 47th St.
- Everywhere in Europe, activist social movements organize themselves to say Stop to austerity, stop to those ultra-liberal politics serving finance. Join this show of solidarity with those striking in Spain, Portugal, and other countries. Available earlier in the day? Check out the Facebook event for more information.
Friday, November 16th, 8pm
- Workshop to Stop Hate Crimes
- Occupy Storefront, 59 Railroad Ave. Ronkonkama, NY
- Come join this workshop with John Schindler and Cynthya BrianKate us as we present a workshop which will cover various topics and issues related to social justice, diversity and education on topics related to anti-hate crime work and the healing of discrimination and violence.
Saturday, November 17th
- Day of Action to End Austerity in America
- Liberty Plaza (AKA Zuccotti Park)
- Austerity is the 1% word for "Let's make cuts to all things important while we continue to fund our own destructive behaviors." We invite you, your family and friends to join us for a day of food, music, dancing, soapboxing, community. and solidarity against austerity.
- Earth Eviction Defense: International Day of Action Against Dirty Power
- Bryant Park, 42nd Street and 6th Avenue, NYC
- In America, the silence regarding climate change from our media and politicians is deafening. A recent report predicts that by 2030 100 million people will perish as a result of greenhouse gases. Join us on November 17th in an International Earth Eviction Defense to prevent the 1% from foreclosing on the planet. As the Kyoto Protocol expires this year, what happens at this gathering will have a long lasting impact on the future of the earth.
Sunday, November 18, 4-10pm
- Occupy Sandy Relief Benefit
- 3232 Railroad Ave, Wantagh, NY
- Join Hurricane Sandy Relief Conscious Jam and Occupy This Album in throwing an Occupy Sandy Benefit for Hurricane Sandy Victims featuring a series of live performances.
Friday, November 23rd
- Black Friday Strike Against WalMart
- Stay tuned for further details
- Striking Walmart workers are demanding that Walmart end retaliatory practices against employees who attempt to organize by Nov. 23, Black Friday. The historic retail worker strikes began last Friday in Los Angeles, when 60+ people walked off work, and this quickly spread across the country. No shopping in any WalMart in America on Friday, November 23rd. Actions will be coordinated in the days leading up to Black Friday. Join 99 Pickets on November 16th to help plan.
Saturday, November 24th, 12pm
- Angry Mob at Lord Blankcheck’s Front Gate
- Dale Frey Plaza, in front of Trump Hotel, 15 Central Park West, NYC
- We've followed the money. We found the puppetmaster. And now we're at his front gate. We’ll gather outside the front gate of Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein's (aka Lord Blankcheck) not-so-humble abode. Bring a FAKE pitchfork or torch and join our Toy Mob. Come prepared to make insane amounts of noise. No real pitchforks or torches, please.
For Text Message alerts on your cellphone about daily events, actions, and important information, sign up for the ComHub SMS blasts by texting @owscom to 23559.